restoring numbers on speedometer

The needle is in a little slot, so to speak, but
> the numbers
> themselves are raised plastic letters on the dash itself.
>  As a result
> they are exposed to the elements and sometimes get dirty.

I don't know how you'd do it exactly, but if the numerals
are raised, you should be able to use a flat plane with an
absorbent material wrapped around it.  If the threadcount
of the cloth wrapped around your block has a really fine
weave/texture, you could apply an even, thin coat of paint
and kind-of blot it on, only touching the raised portions
of the letters that are supposed to be white.

You might remove the panel and blot it onto a stationary
plane that has paint on it.

It would not surprise me if the paint was rolled on.  There
are rollers for this sort of purpose at high-end art
stores, if memory serves.  The one that I am thinking of is
about 4 inches wide with a rubber roller about an inch
thick with a small handle.  other sizes are possiblly out
there, though.

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious