Jefferson Ave Plant

Chrysler built all c-bodies at Jefferson.  It was a very old plant to begin
with.  A friend of mine worked there assembling Imperials in '73-'74.  He has
told me all kinds of grim stories about drug dealing and drug use, prostitution
(on a vacant floor they used for storage called "box city") and overall sloppy
work and employee sabotage.  He said the roof also leaked and water dripped onto
the line when it rained.  It sounds like an awful place to work.  If you have a
car from this era (I have two), chances are it was assembled by at least a few
intoxicated employees.  Interestingly, he also told me that management ran the
Imperial line at half speed, with the intention of having the workers spend
extra
time "ensuring quality fit and finish."  According to me friend, this was a big
joke amongst the workers.
Sadly, this bit of Chrysler history has passed on.
David Bremer
'69 LeBaron
'71 Newport
'71 Charger R/T (assembled in LA thank God!)