57/58/59 under hood padding?

In a post the other day, mention was made of a 57 with padding missing under
the hood.  The owner was advised to reinstall it to help with noise
suppression.

I have never seen or heard of such padding before.  With the block so low
down in the chassis, I cannot think of any benefit from such padding, which
I imagine would have to be glued on.

Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of such padding as a factory
fitting.

Hugh