A/C vents

As it was a nice day today in the Ohio valley we decided to take the old 64
coupe for a spin. After the tow truck arrived and gave me a jump in the bank
parking lot we bought it back home. Fortunatly the bank was the only stop and
we had enjoyed about an hours ride before the problem. I have to remember to
tighten the battery cables after working on the car from now on.
While waiting for the tow truck I was showing my wife a few of the different
items in the luxery Imperial, shuch as the combination defroster and A/C
vents mounted in the dash. As luck would have it only the passenger side
works the way it was intended. The drivers side will not remain in the up or
A/C position, it just falls back down as soon as released. Is there a cure
for this problem that is fairly easy, or is the dash  going to have to come
apart. Thanks ,
Joe