the way it responds/D^2 68 Sedan

At 07:37 AM 1/29/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>         Good morning, D2,
>         There is more to a cam than lift spec. The excact cam installed
>         with a four degree difference will act radically different. To
>         make a statement of such that has no FACT to bear it leaves a
>         lot to guessing.. The difference between a .268 and a .284 would
>         be a major difference.. A .268 Just about everyone on this list
>         would be thrilled with at zero or less install.. A .284 ,even at
>         a four degree install, would still irratate 90% of the people on
>         this list.. However.. There is a way to turn your guessing into a
>         FACT..  So,, Dim,, go remove your valve covers and get crackin'
>                                 :)
Thanks Rob.  268-284 I meant duration in degrees intake-exhaust, not
lift.  If I recall, these were the specs of the "HP" cam which I suspect is
installed on the black LeBaron, given the way it responds (I know the cam
on that car has been replaced).  You are right, on the green sedan I am
guessing (My guess is that it could have the 284-284 intake-exhaust).  I
was told that a bit of timing chain stretch could cause about the same
behavior, but I am not sure if it can make THAT much difference.  Also, the
car has been fairly consistent the past 70K miles, 9 years I have been
driving it (the serious high speed performance was dampened by its 2.25"
single exhaust when I first bought it, but the duals several years back
"woke" up the upper end hp).  I would think that the stretch would be
something that not only builds over time, but the rate of stretch increase
is accelerated after the initial "damage" is done, so I should have seen it
deteriorate by now (still guessing of course).  I don't think the cam could
have been installed a few degrees off accidentally because I think that
there is only ONE way the cam fits in there unless you install it a tooth
off in which case it would run like s**t (please correct me if I am wrong,
you mention "4 degree install" as if you can choose the relative
orientation).  Since the engine was built in October 67, (exactly one month
before the car was delivered in New Hampshire) I also suspect this is the
original engine (I need to clean up the grease on the block and get the
serial #!).  Since that car had a LOT of miles before I got it (indicated
by the wear and tear of many interior, suspension, steering, etc. parts,
seats were re-done with a "cheap" vinyl cover which is also now worn) while
the engine ran very well ever since I got it, my guess is that the engine
was either partially or completely rebuilt not too long before I got it,
and the bigger cam was installed either on purpose or by accident, who
knows.  When I replace my valve cover gaskets (that leak like crazy!), I
might give it the dial indicator test.  This will probably be done when I
replace the valve guide seals to keep it from smoking when
starting!   Either way, I like it the way it is, eager to be revved and
easily keep up with "hot" Audi's and Mustangs on the highway!  Thanks, D^2
PS, idle is fairly smooth (usually!  it sometimes likes to miss on idle but
never under load)