1st/OD/final drive ratio

        There is a lower first gear, gearset avalable for 727 use. However
        it is not cheap. But then again, neither is an aftermarket OD unit.
        In the '60s the lower first gear was used for the heavy cars for good
        off line response in drag racing.. As such a sturdy trans is required
        as noted by D2, the spacing is radical and slamming a high powered
        motor into a higher gear at high RPM was a strain on them.. However,
        for our use in Imperials I think the use of the lower gearset would
        be a great addition.. I realise not many would wish to make that type
        of outlay in funds tho..
        D2, being as you have a '68 Imperial,which means an 8 3/4 rear axle
        ass'y, there is no 3.73 gear aval.. 3.23  3.55   3.91   4.10  etc..
        I would be curious as to what you call a "big" cam.. If you have cam
        specs aval I would be interested in seeing them.. If you have part
        number and manufactor I can look it up myself..  :)
                Thanks,,
                  Robb

At 01:53 PM 1/28/02 -0600, you wrote:
>At 11:26 AM 1/28/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>>Another alternative would be a deeper 1st gear that'll give me easier off
the line starts for city and still the direct drive for the fwy.