1st/OD/final drive ratio

At 02:17 PM 1/28/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>         D2, being as you have a '68 Imperial,which means an 8 3/4 rear axle
>         ass'y, there is no 3.73 gear aval.. 3.23  3.55   3.91   4.10  etc..
>         I would be curious as to what you call a "big" cam.. If you have cam
>         specs aval I would be interested in seeing them.. If you have part
>         number and manufactor I can look it up myself..  :)
>                 Thanks,,
>                   Robb
I always thought 8 3/4 had 3.73 available ratio, guess not.
As for the cam, I didn't installed the cam, I only installed an aftermarket
CH4B Ederlblock (sp?) aluminum manifold a few years back.  The reason why I
think the engine has a "big" cam is the way it responds.  Although the
engine is not exactly "weak" at low rpm's, it does not have the punch that
the black LeBaron has at say 2000-2500 rpm.  Even at 3000 rpm (~90 mph on
3rd), the black car seems to have the edge.  The peak torque of the green
car is around 4000 rpm (corresponding to about 120) and its very strong up
to 4800 (~98 true mph on 2nd) and possibly beyond, but I see no reason
revving it beyond that even though 440's were known to capable of 5500
rpm's.  As expected, the green car has very strong high speed performance,
and acceleration over 110 is very strong.  The peak torque of the black car
seems to be in the 3200-3500 rpm range which is consistent to the 268-284
int-exh cam (the previous owner replaced the cam when he rebuilt the
engine).  It still has a lot of punch in the 4500 rpm range, but not as
powerful as the green sedan.
D^2