push button puzzle

> Bill, Hi: I don't think the problem is with the seating of your buttons.
My guess is that it is deeper inside the metal surround that houses the
pushbutton slides. If the 'N' button is staying in the 'in' position it is
then depressing a small on/off switch that is part of your break lite
problem. The pushbutton unit is a 'U'

There is no connection to the brake lights on the '59 gear selector.  There
is a switch on the side of the unit but that is for the back-up lights.  On
the brake light problem I would pull the wires off the brake switch and see
if they go out.  If they do then check the resistance of the switch or
simply replace it.  You can get a close match at NAPA or a NOS switch from
Andy Bernbaum.

                              Steve B.