Re: IML: B/RB Valve Covers-leaks ?

Hi all,

  Back in the day, when when i spent alot of time messing with b and e bodies w/big blocks , leaky valve cover gaskets as i recall was a common complaint, I always thought that the upswept exhaust manifolds on those cars "cooked" the valve cover gasket. ,, promoting the leaks, people tried all kinds of gaskets and sealers. My dad suggested using the old fasioned (even then) formagasket brand  "aviation"  sealer (a brown tar like substance) with cork gaskets, worked so good it was difficult to get the valve cover off later, There are probably better/newer gaskets/sealers avalible now. did it the old way on my vert engine rebuild last summer , worked fine. thanks, mike

staffel@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Just to report I have NO valve cover leaks from my 413, and I've put 1,978 miles on the Imperial this year, much in 300-700 mile one day trips. I also have no leaks from the valve covers on my 440 in the Jensen Interceptor. On the Jensen, I do have a slight weep from the valley pan seal up front with brisk braking, but only in the hot summer temps. I've never heard that the R/RB engines have a 'history' of poor valve cover seals with proper installation. I would recommend using RTV top & bottom if the seals are not upgraded silicon.

Sherman Taffel
COlumbia MD

Mike Becker
Imperial-less in afghanistan