RE: IML: 727 Transmission not shifting into 3rd...

RE: IML: 727 Transmission not shifting into 3rd...

 >  If they are worn past the limits, new ones aren't all that expensive and alot of times we just go ahead and replace them regardless. Especially of front

Wow.  I bet there are a number of '68 Imperial owners that will disagree with you on that one.  The only new rotors known to exist are with John Rosen and somewhere near $500 per each.  There are instructions on the web site on how to change over to a Toyota rotor.  I would not expect the "average" mechanic to be able or willing to take on this job.  Most mechanics make their money by getting cars in and out to beat the book time.  The Toyota rotors have to have machine shop work done to fit as do the original hubs.  Best bet is to take the parts to the machine shop yourself and have it done then take to a mechanic to have it all put together if you are uncomfortable with that.  You should be able to find a couple of used hubs from one of the suppliers on the OIC at a fairly reasonable cost.

I'm on the other side of the state from the OP and have found transmission shops want $300 just to drop and reinstall a transmission.  I just paid about $1200 (plus some additional stuff I chose to do) to have the cast iron trans rebuilt in my '59.  Parts cost were a bear on that one so I would expect yours to be several hundred less.  I would budget for at least $1k though.

                                                   Steve B.