Re: IML: 413 rod knock etc

   Secondly,  if the cap bolt broke on the
> rod, the rod big end
> would be suspect to me.  If theres not enough
> bearing crush to hold the new
> bearing in,  its going to fail again.  The rod is
> the potentially worst
> thing here , if the large end is out of round or the
> thing has bent or
> twisted.

Symptoms found:

1/2 of rod bolt in pan.
other half still in rod.
other rod bolt bent and cap hanging off at a slight
angle.
both bearings on that spun and one of them went
sideways into the adjacent bearing, taking it out too.

Now will redo all 4 bearing halves, the belt idea is
really, really good.

Can rotate crank, and had planned to do it from
underneath to allow gravity to help and to keep as
much grit from falling into the engine cavity as
possible.

=================================
How do I check bad con rod for
roundness/out-of-roundness/soundness?
=================================
What causes this failure?  Engine is comparatively
young.  Had sat but found no evidence of rust or
anything that would hold the piston back when
restarted.  Car appears to have been driven sloppily
due to some really amazing body damage, like he drove
under a drive-thru window.  PO now in jail on
3-strikes law, so who knows what the heck he did with
it, but looks like a good, original car till he got to
it and banged it up.  Recent brakes/tires indicate
someone was taking care of it, and fluids all seemed
good, with no particulate and relatively clean from a
somewhat recent change (as opposed to going 15k
between changes and just pouring more in the top of
the engine when low.

-K