IML: 413 rod knock etc

Well theres tons of degrees on the " right " way, the " best" way and all to do this. If the cranks not grooved too deeply and you can rotate it down to get access by all means polish it. Ive had great luck attaching abrasive material such as emery cloth to an old leather belt and using that to polish the journal. The only danger to that is polishing too much in one area, but its doubtful youre going to seriously out of round the thing. The hardening should be deeper than the depth youre polishing so that shouldnt be a huge problem.

My concerns...getting ALL and I mean ALL of the abrasive out of there afterwards. Secondly, if the cap bolt broke on the rod, the rod big end would be suspect to me. If theres not enough bearing crush to hold the new bearing in, its going to fail again. The rod is the potentially worst thing here , if the large end is out of round or the thing has bent or twisted.

Good luck,

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe