IML: AAJ Brakes / Disc Brake conversion - Year specific should be your q

IML: AAJ Brakes / Disc Brake conversion - Year specific should be your question to them

First question:  Does AAJ even offer, as in you have seen it advertised a conversion kit for an IMPERIAL of the stated vintage (’60-’66 vented rims), and you are not just seeing CHRYSLER disk conversions?  If you do not see Imperial or Imperial clearly stated on their web site/catalog then I would personally contact them to obtain ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY BEFORE PURCHASE.  Plus, be sure of their return policy.  That way, when you receive said disk brake conversion kit, and you find it is designed a Chrysler product of the same vintage with 10 inch brakes, as opposed to Imperial’s 12 inch brakes, you may return the kit for a full refund, or partial refund if that is their policy and you are willing to take the risk.

Most parts suppliers just do not realize the difference anymore.  With time, computer conversions of part numbers, and different variables, Imperial has gotten either lost, or incorrectly co-mingled with Chrysler products.  At least I have found this true for the ’66 and earlier models.  I can not speak for the Newport based Imperials of ’67 forward.  The Newport sub-frame, uni-body, or whatever you want to call it.  THAT IS NOT A SLAM AGAINST THE ’67 AND NEWER IMPERIALS.  I just don’t know what happened in ’67 forward as to whether or not Imperial had all different parts, meaning sizes, etc… specific to Imperial, or if by that time, using the Newport uni-body sub-frame allowed Imperial to use other standard Chrysler parts.  That would at least explain, partially, why Imperial gets mixed into Chrysler so often.  Please do not chastise me for my ignorance of the newer models.  This is just a thought, and question.

Imperially yours,

Wm. R. Ulman

Seattle, WA

'66 Crown Convertible Coupe - Doris Day