From: Longramx2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: EASY DISK CONVERSION IDEA FOR IMPERIALS !!!
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 00:14:12 EDT

I was performing a disk conversion on my 72 4x4 power wagon, useing 79 chevy
4x4 parts, when I got this idea, you see with the chevy parts you have a bolt
on spindle and every thing else bolts on to the spindle including the caliper
bracket so if you can mount the spindle on your imperial you then will have
disk brakes! my idea is to slide the chevy 4x4 spindle over top of the
imperial spindle, the chevy spindle is hollow and I believe would fit over the
imperial spindle shaft. then weld the flange of the chevy spindle to the imperial
knuckle, you might use some sort of sleeve like maybe a piece of tubing to
center every thing up. then its a bolt on deal after that ! but leaves the issue of
the long 4x4 snout sticking out, why not grind about 25 % of it off , the end
of it is made to facilitate a lock out for the 4x4 which you dont need, after
its ground off simply plug the hole with one of those caps 4x4s use when they
dont have locking hubs. My 60 imperials original snout sticks out pretty far.
Any way as long as the hub caps clear is all that matters. Now the only issue
is the lug pattern. I originally was thinking useing 80s dodge 4x4 parts
would work, and give the same lug pattern, however I checked and the dodge 4x4
caliper bolts to the knuckle behind the spindle, so you would have to fabricate
a way to mount the caliper to use that set up. It might be possible to use the
80s dodge hub and rotor with the chevy spindle and caliper, a lot of the 4x4
stuff will mix between chevy, ford and dodge, if so that would be a very easy
conversion, but I have'nt tried it, so untill someone does try it we wont
know. Another idea is to have the hub and rotor drilled with the imperial lug
pattern, which does'nt seem to far fetched to me, and if all else fails imperials
certinally have room in the trunk for two spares. I have'nt tried this
conversion, and it will be some time before I'll have a chance to, so any of you who
want to try it let us know how it works. The 4x4 stuff is beefy which is
exactally what our super heavy imperials need. And chevy 4x4 stuff is cheap and
plentiful. Plus unlike most other conversions, there should'nt be any steering or
suspension geometry problems since you're useing your original knuckle.