IML: Hot rod 68 rag top

Quoting "Hailey (Morgan) Moore" <materialgurl@xxxxxxxxx>:

> getting the full potential out of it's engine. It would light the rear
> tires in the garage nicely, but with the gas to the floor at about
> 4500 RPMs it sounded like it could use more carburator. The car has

Morgan, I know what you mean.  One of my Imperials has an AVS Carter.  That's a
bit larger than your AFB, but at only 630 cfm, it seems like at 4500 rpm's the
car is a not short of breath (and this car has a larger cam and an Ederblock
CH4B).  I am looking for a replacement carburetor, but I don't want to mess
with the thermoquads.  Instead, I am looking for a similar carter squarebore
(1.69 both primaries and secondaries as opposed to slightly smaller primaries)
which was rated at 750 cfm.  That will hopefully raise this threashold to about
5000 rpm, which is as fast as I care to rev it (5000 on third gear is about 150
mph, which may be feasible with the larger carb, but only for a short period of
time due to tire limitations).

My LeBaron (also slightly larger than stock cam) has a large Rochester of about
750-800 cfm.  The throttle response and all is great, but its not the best
carburetor out there.  I will keep it for now though.

> I have been in the convertible doing 143 MPH on the highway, although
> I have never driven it that fast personaly. The car was still gaining

How did you measure speed?  143 for a stock cam engine sounds a bit too fast,
especially for a convertible.  As you know, speedos have large errors (and we
only have 120 mph speedos).  The best way to measure speed is an electronic
tach.  WIth the 235 tires, you have about 29.5-30mph for every 1000 rpms.  So,
4500 rpm would be about 133-135 (can easily be reached with both my cars, but
they are both tin-tops with much better aerodynamics).

> speed when my friend decided he was scared enough. I think earlyer
> imperials are somewhat under carburated personaly.

The earlier Imperials also had the 413, which had smaller displacement and not
as good flowing heads.  But that AFB may be a hair small even for those.

D^2