IML: Tune Up Edelbrock v. AFB, high speeds

IML: Tune Up Edelbrock v. AFB, high speeds

> I just though I would mention that I have a Carter
> ThermoQuad on my 68.....
> When I bought my 68
> it had a holley on it. I have no idea what kind, but

When I got my 67 home from texas it was burdened under
the weight of an improperly functioning holley.  The
biggest issue with these carbs (typically the 4160
model, on the 440) is the weak casting by the front
and rear bowls.  Usually some knuckle-headed
"mechanic" will overtighten the 4 screws on each bowl
and warp the casting, creating air leaks and possibly
fuel leaks.  In my case, this was true; I also had a
stuck secondary that poured gas into the manifold
whenever I got into the secondaries.

I replaced the holley with a junkyard carter AFB that
worked better than the holley without even a rebuild-
just a can of carb cleaner!  Eventually I mean to
rebuild it...

> I think it was
> whatever came on those cars. I replaced it with an
> AFB from a 67
> Imperial which worked OK, but the car always sounded
> like it was not
> getting the full potential out of it's engine. It
> would light the rear
> tires in the garage nicely, but with the gas to the
> floor at about
> 4500 RPMs it sounded like it could use more
> carburator. The car has
> dual exhaust as well. Anyway, I bought a thermoquad

My carter AFB sits on top of a 1/2" phenolic spacer
with four holes, one for each barrel.  The effect of
the spacer is to keep the carb cooler to prevent vapor
lock, and also increase the effective length of the
intake port to increase torque.  Additionally, the
primaries of the AFB are pretty tiny, which increases
vacuum when you aren't working in the
secondaries...the secondaries however are HUGE.  My
67, like you car, will light 'em up and smoke 'em from
the light.  Given my location (Maryland) there aren't
a whole lot of places to go over 115 or so before
traffic gets thick, or I get worried about running
into a local officiant, so I haven't really tested the
upper reaches of the carter, but I imagine it would be
similar to yours.

The dual exhaust helps, as does a dual snorkle (or 360
degree open element) air cleaner.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Beautiful Boxcar