Re: IML: WELCOME A New Member, Hailey Moore (1967, 1968) <--the great de

Re: IML: WELCOME A New Member, Hailey Moore (1967, 1968) <--the great debate!

> Personaly I find the performance of the 68 to be
> better, but that is
> likely because the 67 has an engine out of a 66
> lebaron, and 413 heads

yes, you can't really compare the two.  However, your
68 being a convertible would be a bit heavier than the
67 LeBaron, yes?  This would more affect acceleration
than top speed.  The convertible also is likely
noisier so the perception may be it is faster/
quicker.

> with smaller valves. The 68 however has a 900 CFM
> Carburator and

As D^2 says, the larger carb mainly helps at high RPM.
 Which, if you do have the 2.73 rear, would be at
speeds approaching 3x the legal limit!  Even I don't
drive that fast.  Do you have dual exhuasts on both
cars?

> humiliated a very hot
> mustang with it a while back. The 68 is fairly stock
> overall though.
> 2.73 Sure Grip, and a 727 out of a 78 New Yorker.

Funny, D^2's car has a later torqueflight too.  Does
yours have lock up?

> Which do you guys think is faster?

My 67 is not all stock, and yes, I did lose a race to
a black 68 LeBaron.  However, I keep insisting the car
was far from optimally tuned then.  I had only owned
it for about 45 minutes or so!

Since then, I have installed a Carter carb in place of
the stock Holley, tuned the distributor for optimal
timing, new plugs/wires, cap/rotor, replaced the tires
(the old ones were bald from being run at too low
pressure), and only used 93 octane fuel.  The car has
dual exhausts, stock 2.94 rear and the stock 727, but
rebuilt with tighter clutches.  Under hard throttle,
it chirps the tires on the 1-2 shift.  From a stop, I
can smoke the tires as long as I want...hmm...maybe
that's the other reason I needed new ones!

Personally, I think the 68's may be a touch faster
(when stock, not with some crazy cam!) over 3500 RPM
or so due mostly to the heads, with the 67 being the
torque monster around 2500-3000.  I have never come
close to exploring the top end of my car.  The needle
will bury at 120 with ease, and there's still plenty
of pedal left.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Beautiful Boxcar