Re: IML: WELCOME A New Member, Hailey Moore (1967, 1968) <--the great de

Re: IML: WELCOME A New Member, Hailey Moore (1967, 1968) <--the great debate!

> Which do you guys think is faster?

I don't know  why Mike keeps on bringing this up!  We had raced my 68 LeBaron
with his 67 Coupe, and it was all crystal clear!  :)

First, the rear end should be 2.94, all Imps had this ratio as standard.

You are right, the 67 heads should be a bit better than the 66 heads or the 413
heads because the intake ports were widened.  However, the 67 heads still have
the smaller size exhaust valves (1.60 as opposed to 1.74" of the older heads).
So, a stock 68 with dual exhaust should outperfrom a stock 67, especially at the
higher rpms.  Both my 68's however have bigger cams, so it was not fair on
Mike's car.  Plus, we raced between 85 and 110, which is mid-upper rpm range.

Please see further inserts below.

Quoting Morgan Moore <materialgurl@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello
>
> Personaly I find the performance of the 68 to be better, but that is
> likely because the 67 has an engine out of a 66 lebaron, and 413 heads
> with smaller valves. The 68 however has a 900 CFM Carburator and
> modified ignition so.......... :-)

Morgan, the modified ignition is unlikely to help any.  The 900 cfm carburetor
will help over the stock 600-630 cfm, but only if you get the larger cam.  The
stock cams in these 440's was very narrow at 256-260 degrees total duration and
only about 30 overlap.  Still, because the 440s had huge lifters, a very rapid
rise and fall of the valve lift was possible w/out increaing cam wear, so the
upper end of the engine was still OK.  A cam with closer to the "HP" specs will
really help the upper end though in order to utilize your larger carburetor.

So, I think the reason your 68 feels faster is mainly the improved 906 heads.

  My friend humiliated a very hot
> mustang with it a while back. The 68 is fairly stock overall though.
> 2.73 Sure Grip, and a 727 out of a 78 New Yorker.

So, did you change the diff gears from the NYer?  If not, you have the stock
2.94.  Yes, we tend to humiliate "hot" cars often all the time!

D^2