From: IMP7T@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 11:48 AM
Subject: IML: 63 413 ballast

I assume that Chrysler is the same set up as GM. I believe that all ignition
coils are 6 volt. Your ballast resister knocks the 12 volt to six volts
while the car is running. During cranking you have a wire that runs from the
starter circuit that goes to the coil and gives the coil 12 volts during
cranking only. This way you get full spark during cranking. I could be
wrong, but don’t think so. Anyone see a 6 volt car with a resister? Sooo!
After all this, I would say if you are questioning the resister, bypass it
for a test. Don’t let it run to long. If it starts and runs, you have a
problem in the resister. If it still does not run, something else is the
problem. You could also test the resister with a volt meter. 12 volts one
side, 6 volts the other. During crank 12 volts on both sides.

1970 Imperial
and a couple of street rods