Quality of the 1957 Imperial

Paul,

I was eating Gerber's stewed carrots in 1958 so I don't really recall
much about the depression that year.  (Not being a wise guy, but was
there really a depression or was it a recession?)  Anyway, that's not
my real question, my real question is: why wasn't Rambler effected?

Are you saying it was because Rambler was a small car?  Was Rambler
really considered a small car then?  Seems hard to imagine now, since
Ramblers weren't all that small . . .  If Rambler was in such a good
position then you wonder why they weren't able to capitalize on it.

My memory is fuzzy on this, but I would think VW's success had more to
do with the realization that America wanted smaller cars than the
depression, but it could all be tied together.  I'm wondering when the
Valiant and Corvair were first conceived . . . would seem to be in
57/58 or thereabouts.

Anyway, I agree with you about Imperial's styling being a bit behind
the curve.  All of Chrysler's styling in the early 60's tended to be a
bit more daring or flamboyant (or odd, if you think about Dodge's
angled headlights) than the competition's.  Although I LIKE this daring
quality, I think public tastes were more conservative by this time and
Chrysler did not recognize this.  In fact, I've always thought that if
Imperial had just been two years earlier with every major design cycle
the Imperial would be still with us today.

Think of it: if you took the 1964 and brought it out in 1962 or even
1963 (instead of clipping the fins on the old bodystyle to keep it
around for one more year), it would have been a major jump forward.
That would have put Lincoln and Imperial out front with a fresh new
look, leaving Cadillac behind.  And, as much as I love the 67-68s, I've
always thought they look as though they should have come out in '65 or
'66, when "square" was the rage.  By '67, GM was going to that gently
curved look that Chrysler wouldn't see until 1969 with the fuselage
era.  I think Chrysler's designs were BETTER, just late by a year or
two.  I've often wondered why this happened . . .

Mark