Quality of the 1957 Imperial

It has been well documented in automotive publications that the build quality
of the '57 Imperial was a major factor in the later lack of success associated
with our cars. It was not the only factor, however, since most American cars
suffered the same way at that time. Here are a few of the other reasons that I
think the Imperial name suffered.

The economic depression in 1958 negatively effected all of the auto
manufacturers except Rambler. This lead to the realization that America wanted
smaller cars. Even though the industry was slower to act, the American public
responded immediately to the rising popularity of smaller cars.

I think the final piece was the controversial styling of Chrysler cars in the
early '60s. By then the other manufactuers were settling into what became a
comparitively conservative period. The Imperial was particularly late on this
issue.

Although I would somewhat disagree with it, I believe that the Imperial
suffered from an image of playing "catch up" with the competition in the
styling department. This perception may have been due to the styling of the '61
Imperial as compared to that of the '61 Lincoln, and although the '61 Cadillac
was still somewhat outlandish, they could always sell anything as long as it
said Cadillac.

Imperials were always acclaimed for their handling on the highway as road cars.
They also frequently were commended for engineering innovation and comfort.

Paul