CAD Program

AutoCAD and other programs like it are simply ways of drawing and diagramming the real world.

Perhaps another way to phrase it would be to ask whether one could create patterns in AutoCAD that could then be posted to the site?  I have a 1960 here, and know somone locally that does this sort of work if you are interested, but it could get expensive.

If that were the question that you were asking, then the answer would be yes.  I would most likely think that one would do best by taking measurements from an actual seat rather than eyeballing the drawings in the catalogs.  I would also suspect that the plans would need to have patterns for the cuts of the leather and fabric prior to its being sewn together plus dimensions for the final layout?

Most people with AutoCAD also have a plotter, which is a giant printer.  It is possible to generate real-life sized template drawings for seats, I should think, although I don't know if the seat panels would be larger than standard plotting paper height-wise.  Width is no problem as the paper comes on a roll.  Most people would probably just take the old skins of the seats to the upholstery shop and have them replicated?

What did you have in mind?  Detailed plans for seat panel layout?

Seems to me that SMS, Gary Goers, and others that do this service probably have gone through a non-electronic version of making templates as found in the manufacture of garments or other sewn items.  That's the way that I'd assume that they're able to make up the new skins for people and ship them sight-unseen to be installed on the clients' existing seat frames.

-Kenyon

Dave & Tracy <dave-tracy.sherratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Would it be possible to use a Cad program some of the drawings & illustrations that is massed on the site. e.g on the 1960 page there is the showroom brochure showing the front seat of a Imperial. This simple drawing indicates where the pleats & sections of fabric are joined etc ( plus there are many other illustrations of that nature.) I know that my P.C knowledge is not too clever , so I will be advised by some one whom is a little more learned on the Idea. I think !
Regards
Dave 60 Le Baron

Kenyon Wills
San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area