An oily question

An interesting question and one I have had differing opinions on over the
years.But here is a fact make of it what you will.I drained the oil from my
58 not long after I purchased it from the States perhaps I did 1500 miles
and used no oil at all this was before the oil change.After the oil change I
used about 1 quart in the first 300 miles .I chose to put a can of mooreys
in for fear of running out before I got home and it stoped the oil use
immediately .I've driven around 4000 miles with that sump full and never
used a drop ,but it smells like its using oil .When I quizzed the guy in the
filling station on what oil he used he said he only used the best and that
was the (6 leg dog )oil
don't want to use a( brand name) .I have no idea what was in it before but
it sure was better than what's in it now .Take care all HOP