Please Welcome New Members Bud & Debby (1981)

Please Welcome New Members Bud & Debby (1981)

 Welcome to the wonderful world of 1980s electronic fuel injection!   What
has been done to the car since it last run well?

With any of these EFI cars that won't start, the first step is to put about
2 oz of fuel into the top of the air cleaner lid, loosen the wing nut long
enough to let the gas run down the screw, then retighten the wing nut.  As
you know if you read the sign on the top of the air cleaner, the engine will
NOT run if the lid is loose, even slightly.

If this makes the car start, you know your problem is lack of fuel.  If it
keeps running normally once it is started by this method, most likely the
fuel pressure switch has failed.  If it starts and then quits, most likely
you have no fuel getting to the engine.  Listen for the fuel pump motor
running in the tank - it should run for a few seconds each time to cycle the
key off, then on.   If you don't hear that, check for 12 volts at the pump.
If you do hear it, check your fuel filters.  They are under the car near the
passenger door hinge post.

To work on these cars, you MUST have the two volume set of manuals for it -
all the engine stuff is in one manual, and all the electrical info is in the
other manual, so you have to have them both.   Once you get the manuals, I'm
betting you can maintain the car yourself.

Don't blame every problem on the EFI system.  That mistake is made by most
owners, and they start on an Easter Egg Hunt, changing parts which have
nothing to do with the cause.  Look for more obvious things, not related to
the EFI before you cause unnecessary grief.   I've found these cars to be
very reliable (contrary to what you will hear from others) as long as they
are maintained sensibly and not fiddled with.  Most of the EFI system
failures are caused by folks poking around in there without knowing what
they are doing - probably 90% of the problems are a blown 23 volt power
supply, and this is always caused by someone fiddling with the wires.

Make sure your ASDM is well grounded to the engine block (grounding to the
fender on which it is mounted is no good - you have to add a wire to the
engine ground).   All of this is well covered in the IML archives, but once
you get the manuals, you'll figure it out yourself too.

Dick.
Dick Benjamin