An oily question

Hi,

I have an oil question, and you can reply privately if you want.

I know that 30w oil is recommended by most for an older engine,
and race engines use it too.

But, what is not so good about using multi- viscosity oil?

Isn't it supposed to change with the temperature?  When the
engine is cold, it is thinner so that it is easier to start and get it
pumping.  But, when it's hot, doesn't the viscosity go up, making
it in effect 'thicker'?  (Try starting your car at -10 degrees F and
tell me 30w is better.)

Also, I have always thought that synthetic oils are supposed to be
far superior to other oils, because it doesn't break down as fast,
and it clings to the engine parts longer, providing better lubrication
at initial startup.  Or, is this a bunch of hype?

Just curious.  No oil wars please (unless in the mid east).

Dan Wing
Marcy, NY  USA

imp1983@xxxxxxxx

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!