Mechanical Paint Buffer Advice (Clay's 1960)

Mechanical Paint Buffer Advice (Clay's 1960)

I am a devotee of electric buffers!!!

Look into the DeWalt unit.  It has a thumwheel that lets you set the RPM
and has lots of torque.  The air guys will probably have their own
reasons, but I like the cord being softer than the air hose and more
extendable with extension cords.  Draping the cord over my shoulder beats
draping an air hose over my shoulder, etc.

The electric unit will work at your buddy's house or the cabin or wherever
and is not tethered to your compressor.  Most of the body shops use air
because they have it rigged all over the place and its convenient.  Most
detailers use electric (in my world anyway).

The swirl marks are a result of a coarse cut that wasn't polished to the
second stage.  More time and some practice, and they'll go away.  I find
that the wax fills the smallest ones in nicely, and I skip the micron
sized swirls with a wax application.  The finest swirl remover should
eliminate what you're seeing on the various polished camaros and mustangs
around town.

I mentioned the 3M Hookit pads but did not mention that they take a
(bright yellow I think) attachment that threads onto your polisher that
has velcro on the base.  The Hookit pads just smunch onto the velcro and
are terribly easy to swap on and off.  They will wear down, and a pair of
the white and a pair of the grey are a good starter package.  Photos
available upon request, but your auto paint stor should have these sorts
of things for you to inspect.

See if you can borrow someone else's to try out if you're on the fence
about what works best.  The best kind of power tool or motor boat to have
is "someone else's".

-Kenyon

=====
Kenyon Wills
6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious

San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area