Exhaust system for '65 Crown convt.

Hi Folks!

Well now that the alternator thread is winding down, I would like to pose a few questions to the list about my exhaust system that is soon to be fabricated and installed.  Many of you on the list may disagree but I have listened to many mechanics and machine shop owners tell me over and over to use 2 1/4" pipes rather than the factory installed 1 7/8".  Today my mechanic neighbor next to my business told me not to use the resonators because they cut down considerably on the horsepower.  He said I should just use mufflers... a brand called "Sonic" that has "better air flow" and I wouldn't need resonators if I used this brand.  I have changed the brake system from single to dual, I have used stainless brakelines and I have painted the ribs of the convertible top Cummins Beige to blend better with the underside of my putty colored convertible top.  I think theAACA  judges have already disqualified me at this point, so I am not concerned about things being exactly as they were in Sept. of "64 when the car was new.

Any thoughts, comments about this system I have mentioned?  Also is there anyway to fabricate an X crossover pipe in the exhaust pipes behind the engine or is there just not enough room?  The same mechanic showed me an example of one he had laying on his bench and it didn't look all that large.  He insisted I would get better performance and 15 more horsepower if I could install one of these crossover pipes.  I am not mechanical so I am relying on the advice of those of you who are.

Thanks in advance.

Greg
'65 Crown convt. (moving through its restoration pretty quickly now)!