Exhaust system for '65 Crown convt.

Hi Greg,

Were I you, I'd be VERY careful to make any changes to
your Imperial's exhaust system that deviate from the
original specifications.  Why?

Well, first, since your car is a convertible, there
are a couple of places where the clearance between the
exhaust and the frame is very small.  In other words,
it was a tight fit from the factory for the original 1
7/8" pipe, so if you go to a larger size, you're bound
to run into problems.  I can tell you that there are
few things more annoying (and more un-Imperial) than
exhaust pipes knocking around beneath the car.  Unless
you want your Imperial to sound like there's a midget
underneath it banging on the frame with a hammer, you
need to consider this one carefully.

As far as mufflers and resonators go, the best
combination is original stock mufflers with
original-style resonators at the end.  This is how the
car came from the factory, this gave you the original
350 HP, and this gave the correct quiet-but-powerful
original sound.  If you leave off the resonators, your
Imperial will sound like there's a freight train
riding your back bumper.  And if you leave off the
resonators and go with some full-flow or other low
restriction mufflers, your Imperial will sound like
the goofball with the tricked out '97 Camaro who seems
to enjoy blasting down my street lately.

As for the resonators cutting down "considerably" on
horsepower, I say hogwash.  It just ain't so.  Both
resonators combined MIGHT, MIGHT knock out 2 to 3
horsepower -- and when you consider that's less than
1%, what's the problem?

And lest you think I'm completely contrary (LOL!), an
X-Pipe is a GOOD thing!  If the shop can weld one in
nicely, go for it.  You'll definitely notice the
difference on low end torque.

Please realize that my comments above are based on
several years of trial and error with Imperial
exhausts.  I'm not completely opposed to
modifications, but this is one area where experience
has taught me well.  If you want your Imperial to
sound like an Imperial should, stick with what the
factory gave it.  I had to take my '71 Imperial to
THREE different shops before I finally got an exhaust
system that sounded right and didn't knock against the
frame.  Your '65 convertible, because of the full
frame and X crossmember, is even more complex.  If
you're going to spend a bunch of $$$ on this one, make
sure you are going to be happy with the result.

Good luck!

Elijah
1965 Imperial LeBaron
1970 Imperial LeBaron
(3) 1971 Imperial LeBarons
--- Greg and Russell <65luxuryliner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> Well now that the alternator thread is winding down,
> I would like to pose a few questions to the list
> about my exhaust system that is soon to be
> fabricated and installed.  Many of you on the list
> may disagree but I have listened to many mechanics
> and machine shop owners tell me over and over to use
> 2 1/4" pipes rather than the factory installed 1
> 7/8".  Today my mechanic neighbor next to my
> business told me not to use the resonators because
> they cut down considerably on the horsepower.  He
> said I should just use mufflers... a brand called
> "Sonic" that has "better air flow" and I wouldn't
> need resonators if I used this brand.  I have
> changed the brake system from single to dual, I have
> used stainless brakelines and I have painted the
> ribs of the convertible top Cummins Beige to blend
> better with the underside of my putty colored
> convertible top.  I think theAACA  judges have
> already disqualified me at this point, so I am not
> concerned about things being exactly as they were in
> Sept. of "64 when the car was new.
>
> Any thoughts, comments about this system I have
> mentioned?  Also is there anyway to fabricate an X
> crossover pipe in the exhaust pipes behind the
> engine or is there just not enough room?  The same
> mechanic showed me an example of one he had laying
> on his bench and it didn't look all that large.  He
> insisted I would get better performance and 15 more
> horsepower if I could install one of these crossover
> pipes.  I am not mechanical so I am relying on the
> advice of those of you who are.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Greg
> '65 Crown convt. (moving through its restoration
> pretty quickly now)!

=====
-- "My samoyed is smarter than your honor student."