Exhaust system for '65 Crown convt.

Personally, I prefer smaller ID exhaust systems for street use.  The sound is more pleasing; I don't like that fat pipe-turbo muffler drone.  Also, you'll get better torque from the higher exhaust gas velocity.  Yes, larger pipes generally make more high-rpm HP but that is not the issue for a street car - and certainly not unless you also plan on enrichening the jetting (more exhaust flow translates to the requirement for richer mixtures).  However, if you went with 2" pipes that would not be a problem and you might find it easier to get components in this size.

I agree on losing the resonators.  I would listen to a sample of any muffler you select to be sure that you like the tone.  Not all performance mufflers sound alike and you might find that some of them produce sounds you find distasteful.

The crossover connector - it could be a simple H connection, but the closer to the engine the better - helps on engines with unbalanced power pulses (like V8s).  They make absolutely no difference on inline sixes or V12s.  In practice, you might not be able to get the crossover closer than the back of the transmission.  There are downsides to crossovers, though.  You lose the ability to backtrack a miss to one bank or the other by observing the exhaust, and you can also lose the ability to remove one side only to repair something or other under the car.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

John

Hi Folks!

Well now that the alternator thread is winding down, I would like to pose a few questions to the list about my exhaust system that is soon to be fabricated and installed.  Many of you on the list may disagree but I have listened to many mechanics and machine shop owners tell me over and over to use 2 1/4" pipes rather than the factory installed 1 7/8".  Today my mechanic neighbor next to my business told me not to use the resonators because they cut down considerably on the horsepower.  He said I should just use mufflers... a brand called "Sonic" that has "better air flow" and I wouldn't need resonators if I used this brand.  I have changed the brake system from single to dual, I have used stainless brakelines and I have painted the ribs of the convertible top Cummins Beige to blend better with the underside of my putty colored convertible top.  I think theAACA  judges have already disqualified me at this point, so I am not concerned about things being exactly as they were in Sept. of "64 when the car was new.