GM VS Chrysler and Monthly Rules reminder

GM VS Chrysler and Monthly Rules reminder

Folks,
   Please keep the mesages IMPERIAL focused and please
don't let your passions for originality  vs "keeping
it on the road" let this degenerate into personal
attacks.

Also here is the Monthly Rules reminder in case you
have any questions about what is appropriate for the
IML.
Thanks All!
Jeff Ingraham
Moderator

IML Rules of Etiquette

SHORT LIST OF DO'S:

1. Everything here is Imperial focused... keep it so.
(If you feel it is not, take it to the Salon.
Information about joining the salon is available on
the IML home page)
2. CHANGE your subject line, probably every time you
post!
3. Trim your posts, and use plain text.
4. Respect other people and their cars!
5. Diversity is our strength - this is a worldwide,
multicultural club!

SHORT LIST OF DON'TS:

1. No Personal Attacks, No Politics, No Religion, No
Bashing.
2. Post no graphics or other large files to the entire
list.
3. No short, one line responses like "Cool!" or
"That's right!"
4. No personal replies to the whole list - send those
to the person concerned.

---

DETAILED EXPLANATIONS:

The Imperial Mailing List is one of the biggest and
oldest Internet based car clubs, and it has grown to
be the largest Imperial club of any kind. Over the
years, it has developed a "theme" or a "flavor", which
will attempt to describe:

In the past, Imperial owners have been isolated, and
desperate for help
in keeping their cars on the road. Now, imagine living
by the side of a constantly flowing river of
knowledge. Any time you need something (a replacement
Imperial part, or some advice, for example), you can
just dip a bucket right in and get what you want.
Free, easy and VERY friendly, with hundreds of
wonderful pals. The IML provides a positive feedback
loop, and it's a major success.

However, we sometimes get folks who join up, and don't
understand that
in order to GET something, they have to GIVE
something. It might be information, advice, honest
questions or volunteering. At the very minimum, we ask
that you be a good citizen. We have very clear rules
about what constitutes "good citizenship", and several
constantly active
folks who are authorized to spank troublemakers -
You're not paying for
membership in cash, you're paying for it in plain old
common courtesy.

Here are the rules:

---

OUR LIST OF GOOD THINGS.

- Chat about Imperials of all years and 1976-78
Chrysler New Yorker Broughams. (Other topics to the
Salon) Send Imperial related questions,   stories,
advice, or friendly feedback. Keep it pleasant,
and you'll get all of the goodies you need.

- Volunteer to help. We are always happy to accept
help from folks who like to greet new folks, or edit
the archives for the web site, or add   new material
to a particular year's Home Page, or moderate our many
Chat sessions. We have a separate mailing list
(IML-Admin) for folks who   want to help run the IML,
with lots of active members. To join, send e-mail to
sysop@xxxxxxx and ask to be added.

- Always be aware that you are on a planet wide
mailing list, with
members on every continent except Antarctica (we're
working on it).
The   folks on the list don't have any idea where you
live unless you mention it, so please tell us WHERE
your car is for sale.

- Advertise Imperial parts and services (No other kind
of ads are allowed). We have many vendors who are
members in excellent standing, and   always want more.
Don't fool yourself into believing that we want
to be spammed with constant advertisements. Keep it
tasteful. Any  questions? Join the IML-Admin list.

- Learn how to use your computer's e-mail software,
specifically how to change the Subject line so that it
matches the actual contents, how to   ONLY include
quoted text that continues the discussion (instead of
every word that has ever been posted on a topic), and
for goodness' sake,   learn how to copy and paste
text!

---

OUR LIST OF BAD THINGS.

You'll get one friendly warning for any of these, and
then we'll hit the Ejector Switch if you keep
offending us. We really have very little patience for
folks who don't want to play nice, since there are so
many
of us that do. So read, learn and abide by the rules.
New members are more than welcome but no excuses like
"I didn't know" will be tolerated.

- Messages that are NOT about Imperials of all years
and 1976-78
Chrysler New Yorker Broughams. If it's not about a car
that is in one of those
  categories, PLEASE don't send it to the Imperial
Mailing List. Really.
No long, drawn out comparisons between Dodge Polaras
and Monacos -
There are OTHER mailing lists and the Salon for such
discussions, and we
get enough e-mail traffic already.

- Angry messages. They bother a very large, friendly
and kindly group of
folks. This can include personal attacks, profanity,
sexual references, stereotyping, or other offensive
speech. If it's not something you could read out loud
to your sweetest relative, don't send it,   because we
really don't want it. There are IML members who are
gay, or fundamentalists (of all kinds), every race,
sex, age and opinion, and   none of it matters. We're
Imperialists. Figure out how the Internet works, and
get used to diversity.

- Attached files. Imagine sending some big, honking
picture file to a gazillion folks, 99% of whom don't
want it or need it - It's a GREAT way  to upset a
bunch of potential friends. If you MUST send in an
addition to the web site or something, follow the
instructions at the bottom of every message. If it's
not Imperial oriented, you're just wasting your time.

- Do not post urban legends, virus warnings, jokes,
scams and other
crapola. If you feel you need to start a message with
'This is non
  Mopar, but..,' then it doesn't belong.

- Private or repetitive email, posted to the whole
mailing list. Nasty stuff! Some of us get WAAAY too
much e-mail already, and we CERTAINLY don't want to
read a message saying nothing but "Count me in!" or
"Way to go!" or "Hey, Bob - I'll buy it!" Send it to
the single person involved, and give the rest of us a
break.

- Requests to be unsubscribed... DUH! The instructions
on unsubscribing are included in every message. PLEASE
USE THEM and don't send a post to   the list to
unsubscribe. You will be tortured by many and feel
like
a fool.

THESE ARE THE RULES, SO FAR.

They will probably be added to or modified as time
goes by. They are pretty solid, though - We've been
doing this for a long time. If you don't like
something, join the IML-Admin list and make your case!
We can
always use some good, opinionated leaders!