The carburetor works!

Quoting "Imperial59crown@xxxxxxx" <Imperial59crown@xxxxxxx>:

> little drive, and noticed that it was not as fast as it was before. I
> think
> it maybe getting too much gas now which is accounting for the poor
> performance. I didn't have time to adjust the screws yet, and bring down
> the
> idle, but will do that tomorrow, and see if that makes a difference.
> Bill '59 Crown

Bill.  The lack of performance is most likely due to the carburetor butterflies
not opening completely.  Since this is a mechanical secondary carburetor
(correct me if I am wrong) you can test this real easy.  With the engine off,
ask somebody to floor the gas pedal while you are observing the secondary
throttle plates and make sure they are opening (air cleaner off, you may need a
flash light).  If I am correct, adjust the linkage till they fully open.

Over-rich mixture can also reduce performance.  But it will have to be so rich
that you probably see black smoke from the exhaust pipes (especially at WOT).
Adjusting your idle screws will have no effect in non-idle situations (ie
normal driving including WOT).  Mixture too lean can also affect performance.
This is particularly dangerous since it can cause excessive engine knock.
There are 2 things that control your mixture under driving.  The jets (whitch
you did not replace) and the float level.  If no change on those two, there
should be no change in your mixture strength.
D^2