a silly question

Hi, this is Nate again. I have a question that no one has of yet been able to answer. Now don't laugh. How do I unlock the doors of my 1960 from the inside? When  I push the door handle forward on all the doors, they lock, but I can't seem to get them unlocked without using the key on the outside. Is this supposed to happen, or am I just missing something? If someone could share this info with me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.