Re: IML: odd LeBaron/branding question

Nat Hall <nathall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
But my quesion still remains: why was this symbol used on the 77-81
*Chrysler* LeBaron?
My own personal theory--based solely on my own slightly cynical sense of humor--is that there was a BIG bin of LeBaron nameplates sitting in the factory, and someone at Chrysler corporate at that time decided they couldn't afford to let them go to waste.

Hey, the late '70s were lean years for Chrysler!  ;o)
 I am assuming simply because there was no Imperial line at the time, and the LeBaron was formerly an Imperial model?  The whole thing seems very silly to me.
I suppose there might be an argument made for branding a "new" mid-line model with a nameplate that previously was used on a high-line model.  Maybe the thought was that using the LeBaron nameplate would add some glitz and class to an otherwise drab car?

Nah.  I still think it was that BIG bin of leftover LeBaron emblems.  ;o)

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron