Re: Tuning procedure ?

Jim,
It's not a can of worms but a tall order. Kind of hard to do a Vulcan mindmeld through the keyboard but here goes!
I will assume you have verified even compression pressures on all cylinders. Open the distributor and check for corrosion and carbon tracking, make sure the mechanical advance turns freely and pull a vacuum on the advance diaphragm to watch operation of the breaker plate-it should be smooth. Set the timing first at the slowest RPM the engine will idle at and then watch the timing mark advance while speeding up the engine. Apply vacuum to the diaphragm and ensure the timing advances properly with your timing light. With your vacuum gauge attached now adjust both idle mixture screws equally to achieve the highest speed and vacuum reading while keeping proper idle speed. Try to stay as lean as possible with the mixture screws while doing this. This motor should idle at 500-650 RPM if in good mechanical  condition. 700-800 RPM should not be necessary with a stock engine of this vintage. If you suspect a vacuum leak spray some carb cleaner around the gasketed areas and repair as needed. I hope this description will help.
Mike LeFevre