Re: Rearend woes

Wheel nuts will stay on IF they are properly tightened to begin with. When not torqued correctly
lug nuts want to unscrew while the vehicle is driven; this happens ONLY on the driver-side wheels.

The use of left-hand lug nuts on the driver side helps prevent wheel loss if a mechanic forgets to torque the wheel nuts when replacing the wheel.

>From the 1965 book "Passenger Car Safety Dynamics" by the Motor Vehicle Research Center of New Hampshire, Andrew J. White author:  "...the Motor Vehicle Research team conducted a series of carefully staged wheel loss tests. Working with a variety of American cars from the major manufacturers, the tests revealed that the use of right-hand-threaded wheel fasteners is perfectly acceptable – "when all the securing nuts on each wheel are properly tightened using a minimum of 20 foot pounds of torque....When these nuts are not wrench tightened and the vehicle is driven on the roadway the left side wheels (driver-side) will become disengaged from the vehicle resulting in the brake drum rim contacting the pavement....The right side wheels under the same conditions were found to remain on the vehicle and in some tests the nuts on the right side wheels became tightened with use."
http://www.moparmax.com/columns/magnante/v_5-2.html

Thanks,
Gary H.