From: Robert neal zimmerman <northwestweirdo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars@
Subject: 273 disaster
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:56:29 -0800

well its a  little off topic, but it is Mopar and the 273 was existent
in 64 and 65 so just pretend its a 64 valiant we are talking about and
not my 67 coronet
    It was suppoesed to be a no-brainer replacement of the  leaky  rear
    main seal while i had the motor out for painting my engine
    compartment, but it has turned into a  total disaster.
     I pulled the pan and the rear main cap, and loosened up all the
     other main caps a bit, but that upper half of the rear main seal
     WOULD NOT  come out,
   so I had to flip the motor on its top , yaNK THE TIMING CASE COVER,
   TIMING CHAIN, BALANCER, ETC.and carfully remove the rod caps  and
   slowly excruciatingly  remove the crank making sure to not scar the
   crank with the rod bolts.
    I got the crank out, gave all the bearings a good look over ( they
    look fine)  ,  but now i dont know if i can actually get the crank
    reinstalled and  coordinate all the rods in order to  not scar the
    crank,it was a small miracle i was able to  get it out, but i dont
    know if it  can be done again.
   The problem is , that as u turn the crank to get the first rod
   journal into place, u have three other rod journals coming down or
   going up and  the attendant rods bolts sticking up to  get in the
   way.
  I know about putting hose over rod bolts to guard the journals, but
  that will not help this case and would in fact  make the problem more
  difficult.I am wondering if I just shouldnt buy a full gasket set,
  yank the heads and  do it correctly, by installing the crank, then
  lowering the pistons down  the holes one by one and  bolting them to
  the crank.

   I thought about removing all the rod bolts and keeping them in order
   to  their caps to create a little more  room in there but i dont know
   if  even that will actually  give me enough clearance.
   Is there some way to do this and not yank the heads and throw a
   hundred dollar gasket kit into a motor to  fix a 6 dollar seal.
    needless to say i am so exasperated today i am about ready to roll
    the  whole car off the cliff and give up
   neal zimmerman, eugene oregon

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different?

----