Re: rear end clunk

Joe, It's a 741 case, has a 3.31 gear ratio tag, there's no indication
of it being a sure grip. I think one wheel spins backwards or the
opposite direction with the rear wheels off the ground and turning
the wheel by hand, It's been some time 3 maybe 4 years for the rear brakes.
I remember awhile back replacing one of the axle tube seals,
and there is a flange that was loose on top of the front part of the case,
I guess the pinion snubber with no snubber? There are some paint dabs
on top of the case I think that were yellow and white, I don't know how many
the 40 year build up of crud dose not wipe away easy, with out taking the paint with it.
Hmmm, I have not checked the fluid or gear oil level back
there in quite some time could this be the begining of the end for
the rear end? I would think a rear with no gear oil would over heat
and seize? think I'll take another look at it tomorrow is there
any thing to look for or checks I can make while I got it up
on jack stands, short of a complete tear down?
thanks
Schuyler

Schuyler 62 Dodge Dart 440 wagon w/ Poly 318
 <http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-wrobel62.html>