RE: Cross Country Adventure in a 65 Dart wagon

RE: Cross Country Adventure in a 65 Dart wagon

[AD removed for archives]
Do you live vicariously through Reality TV? Let us know and win!
caacDv1b7yoMza/PermissionData

Hi Don,

I would fly out, confirm that the items were changed as described, go to
a reputable garage and have the tranny leak looked at and the power
booster and "hit the road".

OR

If the brakes still work and it just does not have the assistance that
the booster gives I would not be concerned at all.  The Dart/Valiants do
not need power brakes anyway since they are so easy to drive.

OR

If you pick the car up and drive it around town for a day and it does
not seriously scare you, go for it.  Have fun and record the adventure
for us all to enjoy too!.

In any of the three suggestions, the base message is to drive it home
unless the car is not what you expected.  If that is the case, check
with the rail companies to see what it costs for getting a car across
the country.

Good luck and have fun.

btw, get AAA (just in case).

Regards,

K.

Don Hudson wrote:

> Hello all
> As the list may know I'm contemplating flying out to LA and picking up a
> 65 Dart wagon I won on eBay and driving cross country back to VA.  I
> received an email from the owner's gentleman friend.  He doesn't think
> it's a good idea to drive it back.  His main 2 reasons are gas gauge
> doesn't work and everytime the tank is filled up, the car gets a real
> strong gas smell for a couple of days (probably until the gas level goes
> down I'm thinking).  He said "it's one thing to drive to work and back
> but to be in the car for days i'm afraid you might do some serious brain
> damage or something" and goes on to say he thinks I should wait until
> I'm in my "own area code" to do some serious driving.  The car has had a
> bunch of documented work/new parts within the last 2 years/8000 miles:
> belts, upper/lower radiator hoses, new heater hoses, radiator recored,
> intake/exhaust manifold gaskets and resurfaced gasket mating surface,
> sparkplug tube seals, valve cover gasket, timing cover gasket, front and
> rear shocks, front brakes, new front drums, new front wheel cylinders,
> new idler arm, wheel bearings serviced, transmission serviced, new air
> filter, 4 new tires, reman starter, rebuilt carb, new distributor and
> owner says previous owner claims engine was rebuilt.  Car starts first
> time, idles smooth and has lots of power for a 6.  Other than the gas
> gauge and smell, the PB Booster "leaks vacuum when the pedal is
> applied", Trans has a slight leak but nothing serious, right side of the
> suspension "clunks" when braking (strut rod bushing?), and the 7 1/4 is
> not as quiet as it should be.  I've compared having it trailered by a
> transport company versus flying out, driving, food, lodging expenses
> back and assuming no breakdowns or other problems, the cost is about the
> same.  I know it's one thing to drive from NJ back to VA with a chase
> car (65 Valiant convert won on eBay), but is cross country in a 39 yo
> car that I personally can't vouch for without benefit of much help
> asking for trouble?  I realize opinions are like belly buttons, but
> based upon the plusses/minus's, would anyone care to comment as to drive
> versus transport?  Has anyone else undertaken something along these
> lines?  Thanks in advance for any advice, input or comments.
> Don

Kevin R. Merkley
Thunder Bay, Ontario
64 Dodge 440 2dr HT (Cdn)

[AD removed for archives]
Race to Claim your FREE Stock Car Racing Gift!
caacERRb7yoMzf/PermissionData

----

b7yoMz.