{Chrysler 300} 300 F Factory Cam Timing

As a way of thinking the various members of the group who answered my 300 F camshaft questions of a few weeks ago, I have attached cam timing diagrams for the 300 F factory cam.  The first diagram is for "Advertised" duration.  I believe this measurement was taken at .006" lobe lift.  This was the common method of displaying cam timing used by the factory and most manufacturers in the day.  The second diagram is for "Duration at .050" Lobe Lift".  This diagram displays the method used by most engine builders and camshaft manufacturers.  Measuring timing events at .050" lobe lift is far more accurate as tests have shown the valve needs to be a certain distance off its seat before any appreciable air flow takes place.  This method also eliminates the acceleration and closing ramps which can very greatly depending upon cam manufacturer.

This 300 F factory cam, while fairly aggressive for 1960, is by today's standards a VERY mild design.  The .430" valve lift, while pushing the limits of valve spring technology in that era, is by today's standards very conservative, even for street engines.

Note that the diagrams have the 4 degree retard of the 300 F camshaft included.

My 300 F has a Comp Cams camshaft installed by the engine builder during the restoration.  It provides amazing performance and is fully streetable.  If members of the group are interested I will be happy to post the cam timing diagrams for this unit.

Dyke Ridgley

---