Re: [Chrysler300] New American Classic Tires

Re: [Chrysler300] New American Classic Tires

OK - your second link to Discount Tire best explains it - their sole design purpose is alignment before torquing the wheels - they serve no purpose relative to loads.

But they may also serve another function that I had not thought of on wheels using lug bolts. I had a Volvo wagon for a time that used lug bolts and now that I remember it was always a pain hanging the wheels before you got a bolt started. Do you remember the old pre-1960s cars that had lug bolts with a pin and an extra hole in wheel for similar purpose.

The youtube also illustrates the purpose but the aftermarket wheels he is putting on scare me a lot more due to edge distance between center hole and lug holes and the appearance that lug holes appear to be loose tolerance.

As to inability of cast wheels to center due to fragility - remember that all the load is going thru the lug nuts (or bolts) creating preload and hence friction - so that does not wash. And most use steel tapered inserts anyway.

I would not be concerned about any of the OE wheels or high quality wheels made to reasonable tolerances for your application - if tapered seat lugnuts, they would center wheel and if there was a conflict, the nylon would lose the battle and deform anyway. If you are having wheels made, I would have ID bored out to match OE application diameter including tapers if any - it just makes sense.

But the youtube brings up a totally different point - the use of universal fit wheels - here I would be very careful with or without hubcentric adapters.

I never liked the slotted lug holes that allowed one wheel to "fit" both Ford/Chrysler 4.5 inch and GM 4.75 inch applications. And I'm not sure I like the wheels with dual bolt patterns - though I can't give you a specific reason other than to say look at hub bore and make sure there is a reasonable amount of material between edge of lug hole and hub ID.

The illustration in Discount Tires explanation using a 3 to 4 mm thick adapter in a high quality wheel would not bother me but the use of a 3/8 inch +/- thick adapter to accomodate a grossly oversize wheel ID as it appears in the youtube example would definitely bother me. The edge distance between the inside diameter and the bolt hole screams at me.