RE: [Chrysler300] Dual master cylinder conversion

RE: [Chrysler300] Dual master cylinder conversion

In about 1958, another car ran a stop sign and pulled out in front of me as
I was wheeling along in my ?50 Chrysler Windsor.  I hit the brakes hard,
blew out a front hose and the pedal hit the floor after wiping off just a
little speed.  I grabbed the handbrake, the other car stopped and I was
unable to stop but was able to swerve around him.  A very close call,
compounded by the facts I was driving too fast and the hand brake on the
rear of the transmission is not very proportional?usually either on or off.
The car wasn?t that old and had been well maintained, but heat, flex, road
salt and other factors led to the rather premature hose failure.  I was
working in a service station at the time and we inspected brake hoses during
the frequent lube jobs and did spot some hoses in pretty sorry shape.  We
often replaced hoses during brake jobs if there was any question.

I think that locking up the parking brake mounted on the rear of
transmissions while at high speed might shear off a U-joint and really
compound the problem.  What year did Chrysler finally convert to
cable-operation of the rear drums for hand braking?

It has been noted that there are various terms for the auxiliary brake
system including hand brake, parking brake and emergency brake.  The old
transmission-mounted brake is much more a parking brake than an emergency
brake.

Shortly after taking delivery of our 1955 Chrysler 300, I approached a stop
sign, hit the brakes and the remaining microscopic thickness of a front
brake shoe peeled off leaving a metal-to-metal contact at the right front
and severely reduced braking capability.  Another car that had timing
priority had pulled out in front of me and I was barely able to get stopped
in time, even with a touch of the on-off hand brake.  A complete brake job
followed immediately with replacement of all flex hoses and inspection of
the steel lines.  Subsequent failure of the large rubber diaphragm in the
power brake booster led to a rebuild of the booster and master cylinder.
Good thing the brake pedal is 9? wide so I could get both feet on it.

Bottom line, a well-maintained single outlet master cylinder will greatly
reduce the probability of failure.  But, remember, Murphy was an optimist.
Extra careful driving of a car so equipped is recommended as we may become
reliant on the excellent stopping power of current cars with large 4-wheel
disc brakes, ABS and sticky tires.  If one plans to drive an old 300
aggressively and extensively like you were in a new SRT-8 300, it would be a
good idea to upgrade to disc brakes and a dual master cylinder.  Loss of
brakes seldom happens in routine operation and is terrifying when it occurs
in the usual emergency situations.

I would hope that our judging of 300?s with modified braking systems would
not overly penalize this almost invisible upgrade.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA