Re: [Chrysler300] Dual master cylinder conversion

Re: [Chrysler300] Dual master cylinder conversion

Jim and All:
That doesn't speak too well for the 1970 Plymouth brake system, as it was
of the Dual variety!  Perhaps the other "side" of the system had  already
failed along with the reminder/warning light.

I agree the changing to the dual system is a bit of an overkill.  If  one
replaces all the components with new (hoses and lines) and rebuilt/new
cylinders, one really has nothing to worry about.  I do always check  my brake
fluid before departing on a long trip such as to a meet.  One can  always make
a "what if" case for adding most any safety oriented item.   None of us
will ever be driving our cars in the road salt that would result in  rust
through of the steel lines as it did with new cars of the time.  It  has been my
experience also that sudden brake failure is rare.  I used to  drive my
brake fluid seeping 56 DeSoto "salt car" down 8 Mile Road to work  daily at the
Warren Truck plant.  I knew when it got down to 3 pumps  to get deceleration
it was time to add a bit of fluid!  (4 pumps once  required a pull on the
hand brake.)

Now, don't get me started on why I think the original drum (with servo
action) brakes--properly set up--are probably superior to those tiny disks that
 will fit in a 6" X 14" wheel!!!

Well, enough from here---its time for a martini on the porch.
300ly, Gil C.
Perfect weather in Tally, FL

In a message dated 4/21/2010 2:22:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,