[Chrysler300] Dual master cylinder conversion

[Chrysler300] Dual master cylinder conversion

I'm doing a high quality "driver restoration" to factory correct on our 300C, and I am considering the idea of converting to a dual master cylinder system if I can work up enough worry about the single cylinder system.  I've never had a problem with loss of braking in my lifetime of driving, and have heard or read of very few cases where it happened to someone.

If I make sure I have a very well freshened brake system throughout my car, how much concern should I have about a single master?  Changing to dual would be my only concession to modernity other than the installation of seat belts and radials in my car, and I don't get pulled easily over to the "updating" side in our old car hobby.  I really enjoy experiencing the way an old car acts for the most part, but I want to keep safety in mind as well.  What do you think?

And how about this related question.  Suppose your brakes went out and all you now had was your parking brake to save you from certain mayhem.  Would you pull the brake just a little to slow down gradually and risk having it fade and become useless?  Or would you pull it decisively so as to lock it up before it has a chance to fade from overheat?  Would pulling it too hard at speed bust up the brake and leave you with nothing?

Or how about hitting the "R" button at road speed?  Is there a lockout to keep it from going to reverse at certain speeds?  That maneuver may possibly throw your car in a spin, but prudently done it might be better than coasting a half mile looking for a soft tree to stop you.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)