RE: [Chrysler300] a/c freon

Victor:

I know there are a/c professionals that will give you better guidance, and
do wait for their input.  As I understand it, it is necessary for a
federally-licensed technician to evacuate the system and capture the old
refrigerant--this to keep the birdies from falling from the sky, or
whatever.  I don't think it is even legal for the owner to work on their own
car. I won't rat on a fellow member, but I wouldn't broadcast your intention
to vent Freon.

Then the dryer must be replaced as the small amount of lubricant present in
the system is different for the old and new Freons.  Then some more time on
the vacuum machine to be sure the system isn't leaking before refilling.  I
think I've heard some compressor seals work better than others with the new
refrigerant.

My mechanic did this on my '86 Chrysler "300" (OK-LeBaron T&C rag) and it is
working fine.  He also recommended changing out the expansion valve as a
precautionary measure while the system was apart as the old compressor had
failed.

Due to differing thermodynamic properties of the new refrigerant, it is
common to experience reduced cooling capacities as compared to the original
Freon.  And, I think I've seen indications that R-134 will also soon be made
illegal and unavailable.

It's raining and blowing in the Bay area today.  Semi's blown over, power
outages, highways closed & mudslides.  But, we need the rain.  How's things
in Pasadena?

Happy C-300'ly New Year
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (The one in Contra Costa County)
1955 Chrysler C-300-Naturally aspirated through eight carburetor venturis,
"64" A/C
1986 Chrysler LeBaron T&C Convertible-Turbocharged, EFI, A/C