Re: [Chrysler300] Gentlemen, start your engines (if you can)

Re: [Chrysler300] Gentlemen, start your engines (if you can)

  While my personal preference is to not use a starting aid and have whatever it is in satisfactory shape to start 'naturally', it does come about from time to time when some external fuel source is needed to start something.

  It is a sure thing that starting fluid will cause serious damage to light duty diesels. Cracked rings and pistons, right now. This is well recognized concept in the industry. So, with  diesels I work on, I do not use starting fluid ever. There are old farm diesels and big old over the road diesels and industrial units that routinely require the stuff, but this is not farm country and I don't have antique diesel power.

  Spark ignition engines, I have yet to see any consequential damage attributable to starting on ether (starting fluid). Sounds terrible to say the least and this I do not like so I use something else. Used to use it to start a balky lawnmower.

  Anything that is injected into a carburetor could very well explode, pop back with a great flame. I like to carefully inject propane for  but this can also backfire. So can gasoline. Spilled gas makes a mess when spilled on paint and a pretty good fire can get going on the engine/manifold with darned little provocation. Had one here many moons ago, only a very slight bit of fuel on the manifold, low humidity day and a spark from a leaky secondary ignition  and we had a nice little fire (which we were able to put out pretty fast, but sure woke everyone in the shop up). With propane, there is no spillage mess and with a quick valve, good flow control.

  Also, I will grab an aerosol can of carburetor/choke cleaner and some brands used judiciously work also.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ
  13% RH, 84.9 deg F, kinda dry, sparky

Yahoo! Groups Links