RE: [Chrysler300] Gentlemen, start your engines (if you can)

RE: [Chrysler300] Gentlemen, start your engines (if you can)

Yo, Gary:

Thanks for sharing your experience with ether starting fluid.  As a former
student of and producer of MTBE (also an ether), my first thoughts were that
properties of ether are not that much different than those of gasoline.
Gasoline will also wash down cylinder walls and I think the old updraft
carburetors were designed that way to keep from leaking raw gas into the
intake manifold.

I am using Pyroil starting fluid and Googled it to get the following
website:

http://www.valvoline.com/products/Pyroil%20Starting%20Fluid.pdf

The product is not pure ether, but is a blend that includes upper cylinder
lube.  I was advised in the same strong terms you used that keeping a can of
Pyroil in the trunk was safer than keeping a can of gasoline and I do agree
with that.  And it is easier to put the right amount in a carb throat using
the spray.

Obviously, if the Pyroil can is ruptured in a collision, trunk accident or
from corrosion, a hazardous condition is created.

I respect your experience and opinion, but feel that Pyroil is the least
worst solution.  It is probably blended to volatize better than gasoline in
very cold weather, but my C-300 with its 8.5:1 compression ratio eats it up
and starts pretty normally on Pyroil, even in hot weather.   I do have to
hotfoot it to the driver's seat after putting a short squirt in each of the
four paired throats before the engine heat vaporizes all the starting fluid.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber