Re: [Chrysler300] Danger of wheel failure unless the rims are replaced b

Re: [Chrysler300] Danger of wheel failure unless the rims are replaced by str...

Hi All:
Ok, I too read the Old Cars article.  Personally, I thought it  sounded like
just another scare-type article--kind of similar to those  ominous predictions
of what would happen to the hobby when leaded gas was gone  forever.  Might
just as well park the old collector car for good!
About only thing I will give you is that the radial tire provides  greater
cornering ability, and thus potentially greater side forces into the  rim.  How
much, I don't know, but I'll bet 99% of us don't corner any  harder with our
radials than the original owners did with their  BlueStreaks.  For those that
insist on frequent cornering to the  limit (not that there is anything wrong
with that!) I would agree stronger rims  would probably be a good idea.  As to
the assertion about the radial side  wall flexing ("twisting") being worse for
the rim bead area than bias---I'll  await a real tire expert's statement
before I buy that.
Now...disc brakes are also harder on the rim?  Give me a break!   I submit
the wheel and tire do not know what kind of brake is used.  (I'm  still not
convinced they even stop better than a well set up drum system!)   They are
superior in fade resistence, of course, so I guess if one wanted to do  repeated
60-0 stops one could give the rim a greater workout than with drum  brakes.
Finally----my experience with running radials goes back to about 1970 on  the
first F cvt, and somewhere in the mid to late '70's on the "H".  I  never
have had a wheel problem, nor have I ever lost a wheel cover on these  cars.  I
have lost them off the "K"---with radial tires, but new  wheels.  However, I
think that was a function of the "K" wheelcover's  one piece construction more
than the wheel.
So there you are---my opinion on the subject and I'm stuck with it!
300ly, Gil Cunningham
Chilly Tallahassee, FL

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: