RE: [Chrysler300] Re: plating and old 300 rims continued fracture issues

RE: [Chrysler300] Re: plating and old 300 rims continued fracture issues - wheel type

Michael:

Excellent question regarding risk management.  Driving an old car with weak
brakes; worn, corroded, damaged and fatigued chassis components; obsolete or
non-existent safety systems; bias-ply tires of questionable age and
construction & etc. involves more risk than driving a new safety-engineered
vehicle.  Also much more rewarding in so many ways.  While my car did not
come from the factory with wire spoke wheels, I did obtain a set of
rechromed Motor Wheel wheels and I really like the appearance upgrade.  I
inspected each wheel carefully before installation of the L-78X15 Remington
WSW's.  I don't drive many miles each year, but some of it is on
poorly-maintained California freeways at high speed.  I do trailer the car
to more remote meets to keep the mileage down (coming up on 79K).

My decision is to keep the bias ply tires on the wire spoke wheels for local
shows, to inspect the rims for cracks as I clean them, to keep the
possibility of wheel failure in mind as I drive.  If I were driving the car
more, I'd convert to disc brakes and change to new wheels and radial tires.

I feel the risk/mile is minimal as are the miles driven.  And I come to the
conclusion I am very comfortable with the overall risk.  Each of us must
evaluate this risk to our cars, ourselves, our passengers and fellow road
warriors.

It would be helpful to know what kind/size tires were on the wire-spoked
wheel that failed.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA