Re: [Chrysler300] Master Cylinder-1955 C300

Re: [Chrysler300] Master Cylinder-1955 C300

Roger:

Thanks for the thoughtful input.  The point is well taken, but this old
brute is pretty original and I hope to keep it that way.  I remember
driving in the 50's and you just adjusted your driving style to match
your chassis and brakes.  I recall driving a '46 Power Wagon converted
into a Holmes Wrecker and it took forever to stop from 45 MPH--and
almost as long to get it up to that speed.

I have also seen different correspondence on the server regarding the
effectiveness of brakes on these old brutes--ranging from good, to
indifferent to bad.  There is a special tool used to set up the
alignment of the shoes that may make all the difference.

Apparently the master cylinder-booster is one of those over-engineered
Chrysler marvels that they recognized as inferior and redesigned it
after only one year.

We have to keep in mind that we only have a little over 100 years of
automotive history and the 1955's were halfway back in that history.
During that short time death rates per million miles have gone down
substantially, gas mileage has gone up, emissions have gone down, tires
last 4-5 times longer, brakes and suspension are better and driving is
occasionally fun in a new car, but always in our old ones.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 CCC

Roger Schaaf wrote:

> Before I spent all the money to rebuild my front brakes again(shoes,
> cylinders, springs, drums) I would most certainly take a look at one
> of the disc brakes systems for our cars.  My brakes have been redone
> to the highest quality and are not even close to contemporary standards.
>
> I am copying the listsrv to see what others have to say on this
> topic.  I know a number of them have done the disc conversion on their
> cars.  Judges at some shows may have a fit, but they are not the
> drivers of your car.
>
> I have heard good reports on the AJ Brake system.
>
> http://www.aajbrakes.bravepages.com/
>
> I also believe that www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com has a conversion
> system for some 300's.

Give the gift of life to a sick child.