Re: 500 ci

For what it's worth, when my 300F long ram engine was overhauled a
few years back, I also elected to go with the 440 Magnum (a.k.a. Roadrunner
or Six Pack) cam, and I don't regret the choice. I'm running mildly ported
452 heads (2.08 intake/ 1.74 exhaust), and since I live in southern
California, no chokes on the stock 2903 carburetors. The engine starts
quickly and easily (much more so than with the old, stock cam), and idles
well, with a slightly pleasing lumpiness. There is plenty of intake vacuum
for power brakes.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I actually gained any power over the
stock bumpstick. I had intended to dyno the engine after overhaul, but time
and money prevented that. Before overhaul my car would do 0-60 in the low
eight second range (say 8.2); with the new cam, guess what? Right, low eight
second range. Oh well.

300F'ly,

Roger Karlson